Kootenay Zone Watersports Athletes Take Podium at BC Games
Local water sports athletes brought home gear after finishing on the podium at the BC Games last weekend in Prince George.
The Kootenay Zone team, made up of six athletes from Cranbrook, Nelson, Windermere and Invermere, won 14 medals and a silver medal in the team event scoring the second most team points.
The team competed in towed events such as water skiing, consisting specifically of slalom, trick and jump as well as wake events consisting of wake surfing, wake boarding and wake skating. The Zone 1 team was coached by Christine DuBois of Windermere, and Lisa Schmidtke of Nelson was the team’s athlete support.
“It was amazing to see our team – both on and off the water – and I’m so proud of each one of them,” said coach Christine DuBois. “It speaks volumes about their skill and spirit when you consider that they were the smallest team in the whole province and managed to win silver in the team event. Prior to these games, it was unknown if Zone 1 had ever been represented at the BC Games in towed water sports, but this team and their success will undoubtedly allow our region to continue to make its mark in the future games.
Waterski Wake Sports BC officiated the event which was held at Lake Ness approximately 20 minutes from the host city of Prince George.
“Athletes are allowed to choose three events of wakeboarding and waterskiing to participate in the Games. As we have many athletes who enjoy all water sports, it was a great opportunity to showcase the diversity of their skills,” said DuBois.
The next Games will be in the summer of 2024. If you have a water sports athlete (ages 10-17 in 2024) who would like to participate, please contact Christine DuBois at [email protected]
• Erica Godsave (Cranbrook) Gold Slalom, Silver Jump, Silver Wakeskate, Silver Team Event
• ReeceLawrick (Invermere/Windermere) – Bronze, Wakeskate, Team Silver
• Kaylee DuBois (Windermere) – Silver Trick Skiing, Silver Wakesurfing, Bronze Wakeboarding, Silver Team Event
• Ryder Duczek (Cranbrook) – Gold Wakesurf, Gold Wakeskate, Silver Team Event
• Dagen Duczek (Cranbrook) – Silver Wakesurf, Bronze Wakeskate, Silver Team Event
• Bronson Schimdtke (Nelson) – Wakesurf Gold, Wakeskate Gold, Bronze, Wakeboard, Silver Team Event